2021 Conference: Stewards of Opportunity
Keeping Everyone safe and healthy at the Conference
After so many months of Zoom meetings and home offices, we’re incredibly excited to get together in person this fall at our brand new, state-of-the-art venue in Cherokee. The sense of community and energy that comes from being together is so powerful, and we can’t wait to see you all! But as recent news on the Delta variant is making clear, we all have a shared responsibility to ensure that everyone is safe, healthy, and comfortable.
Our COVID-19 protocols have two parts: the first is what we as organizers and hosts are doing to help create a healthy, safe environment for everyone. The second part is what all of our attendees are expected to do so that everyone can have a safe, enjoyable, and generally awesome Outdoor Economy Conference.
Big picture, we are working diligently with our Conference partners to ensure the health and safety of all attendees, exhibitors, and staff/team members at the event. We are monitoring and tracking both the virus itself, and updates in COVID-19 protocols both from the CDC and our partners in the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. If guidelines change we will modify our health and safety protocols accordingly.
What we're doing as organizers
Providing Ample Space: We are intentionally leaving lots of extra capacity in all of our sessions, breakouts, and Expo Hall, and will be using all ~80,000ft2 of our space so that people have room to spread out and get their distancing on
Screening: We’ll have temperature checks (must be under 100° F) and screening questions REQUIRED at the doors every day, and rapid testing available nearby
Ample Notice of Any Changes: Things are fluid right now, and we’re watching both regional and national trends and guidance closely. Health and safety is of the utmost importance. If anything major changes, we will let everyone know ASAP, and will do everything in our power to ensure we’re keeping everyone safe
Frequent Sanitizing: We’re working with our partners at Harrah’s to make sure that all high-touch surfaces are frequently sanitized, and that the whole place gets cleaned and wiped down on the regular
Easy Ways to Communicate Your Social Distancing Needs: Modeling off of our friends at the Big Gear Show, we’ll be making it easy to show how big your bubble needs to be and help avoid awkward moments like the infamous “fist bump + handshake combo”
Community health takes a communal effort, and we respectfully require all of our attendees to meet the following expectations in order to take part in the 2021 Outdoor Economy Conference:
- Arrive Fully Vaccinated: We are requiring full vaccination from all attendees; even with the Delta variant, vaccinated people are dramatically less likely to get COVID, and just as importantly, are incredibly unlikely to get seriously ill or require hospitalization
- Don’t Attend If You’re Sick: Obviously, COVID is the thing we’re all most worried about, but conference crud was a thing long before COVID came along. If you’re not feeling well, please do not attend the conference and put others at risk, because even a cold is a whole lot more nervous-making these days
- Bring Your Masks: We’ll have masks and hand sanitizer available, but at this point, most people have (hopefully) figured out what masks fit them well and feel good. We are watching CDC and Tribal recommendations/requirements carefully, and will notify attendees in advance of the Conference if masks will be required, but please bring some regardless, especially for close-quarters times (like the bus ride to an Excursion!) And if you don’t have a mask you love… we highly recommend the ones from the crew at Kitsbow
- Follow Temperature Check & Screening requirements, and receive confirmations from attendants before entering the facility each day
- Respect Others‘ Social Distancing Needs, without judgement (and be respectful of others just in general, please)
- Sign the Liability Waiver required of everyone attending the Conference
- Take Care of Your Conference Badge! That’s your pass to the event, and you can’t attend without it
We are so excited to see you in October, and really appreciate you being so understanding and respectful of these rules while you’re at the Outdoor Economy Conference. If you have any questions, or if you’ve seen other great practices/protocols you think we should be following, please email our operations coordinator, Melissa Scheiderer, at [email protected].
venue and rooming info
harrah's cherokee conference center
777 Casino Dr. Cherokee, NC 28719